We are most grateful to Diane Clark from Queensland, Australia, for getting in touch. Diane has some family photos from her ancestors in Cambridgeshire. A couple have been posted on our “Who were they?” page in the hope that other family historians might be researching the same family. The other gems which Diane has allowed us to use are a photograph of the Blacksmith’s shop at Benwick, by Major, c.1912, and a group photo of Cambridge Auxilliary Fire Brigade from WW2 by Maxwell.
Great find yesterday in a St Ives charity shop, a mint copy of John Slater’s 1968 book “Newmarket, the home of Horse Racing” containing over 60 John Slater photographs and a great little history of John Slater Photography Ltd.
For those interested in this studio, which operated from 1865 to 1985 in Cambridge, we have just added to the site a transcript of diaries from the studio for 1932, 1933 and 1935, the early years of occupancy by Ramsey and Muspratt. You can access these here: http://www.fadingimages.uk/POT1.asp . The diaries list those whose portraits were taken by the firm. If you recognise names of sitters listed in the diaries worthy of additional footnotes, please let us know.
Also as part of the Ramsey and Muspratt story, we have added some comments on the layout of their first premises at 20 St Andrews Street, Cambridge. You can access this through the site entry for Ramsey and Muspratt http://www.fadingimages.uk/photoRa.asp
I couldn’t find a carte de visite expressing a “Happy New Year” sentiment – I’m sure they exist. Instead – here is one with a belated Christmas message.
A couple of new mystery items have been added today to the site at http://www.fadingimages.uk/current.asp – any help with these would be much appreciated.
Meanwhile many hours have been spent on transcribing studio diaries from Ramsey and Muspratt at the Post Office Terrace Studio in Cambridge. These are from the early 1930s when the firm was founded and cover the period before the start of the firm’s extensive card index of its clients, now housed in the marvelous Cambridgeshire Collection. Transcription is complete and work is being finalised in adding references and explanations from local press research. The diaries will be published on the site later this month.
Ten of the main pages on the site were becoming far too long so today these have been split into a larger number of smaller pages. A lot of time has been spent in the last few weeks producing guides to some of the series of negatives in the Cambridgeshire Collection. So far these include collections from Post Office Terrace, Stearns, the Cambridge Antiquarian Society (CAS) and Thomas Howell. These guides are now on the site and will hopefully lead to more use being made of these resources. A few new photos have turned up – examples from three Ely Studios were found at a boot sale last weekend.
We are most grateful to a couple of collaborators for permission to use their images on the site. To Peter Norman for some superb images illustrating Newmarket photographers, and to Rob Tooley for permission to use one of the photos from his brilliant site http://www.earlyphotography.co.uk depicting a Sanderson Camera.
A massive collection of tens of thousands of negatives from the Post Office Terrace Studio Cambridge 1865-1985 has been deposited with the Cambridgeshire Collection at Cambridge Central Library. Over a number of years, volunteers, particularly from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society, have been cataloguing the collection. Many of the thousands of negatives are portraits of local people and scans and prints from negatives can be purchased from the Cambridgeshire Collection . A guide to the catalogue of this amazing collection has been written and the Cambridgeshire Family History Society has kindly made available a spreadsheet with the first part of the catalogue. Both can be downloaded free from this site at www.fadingimages.uk/POT1.asp . It is now quite straightforward to discover whether your local ancestors were photographed at Post Office Terrace.
Portrait of Baron von Hugel, photographed at Post Office Terrace – negative from the Cambridgeshire Collection reproduced with their permission.
The real photo postcard below, showing Wothorpe Ruins, Stamford, was posted in Stamford in 1936. There is no publisher’s name on the reverse, but the face bears the initials DBS. Does anyone know who this publisher was? The postcard is numbered 1007 so presumably this was a larger publisher than, for example, a local village shop or amateur photographer.